Puppy Linx 8.1

Been using Puppy Linux since Monday. It has a nice, old, retro interface. The interface is suited for 800x600 screen resolutions, on a 1280x1024 17 inch monitor everything is small. The start menu is very streamlined and small.

What is really annoying and frustrating is although Puppy is installed on the hard drive, every time you shut it down and restart it you have to set the time, locale information, country, keyboard and wallpaper; doing this every time is so annoying and painful. I think it is a rubbish distro. Either I will have to keep the machine on always or I will have to delete it and install a more reliable distro.

Default settings




No suspend option

There is no suspend option which means you have to leave the machine on 24/7 or if you reboot you lose all your settings even though it is installed on the hard drive and not running from a Live-CD or USB drive


Customised

Because this is a seven day challenge to stick with a  chosen distro, I am not going to change to another distro before this time. At the same time, it is painful living with a distro that you have to customise from scratch every time I shut it down and turn it on again.

I have to say Puppy Linux is quite lite but it is one of the worst distro I have come accross. If you make changes to customisation and switch it off you will lose all your settings. 

I have found out that it has a brain of its own. When you press the power button on the machine it attempts to shutdown but give you the option to press suspend in 30 seconds. If you press Menu --> exit --> shutdown or if shutdown via the power button you will lose all your customisation unless you press the suspsend button. There is no suspend option from pressing Menu --> exit -->

I am sticking to my seven day challenge and after that I will delete Puppy and never install this again.

I have an icore3, Pentiumm 3.3Ghz (4 cores) with 4Gb or RAM and 500Gb of hard drive space. Although it is relatively small in size → 300 MB or less. When you start using it you need allocate at least 3 - 4 Gb of hard drive space. For simple usage tasks of browsing the net, it fills up the hard drive space quickly. 

Also the JWMDesktop manager is rubbish, it frequently freezes the system.
Puppy is not for me, I dont like Puppy. It might be light and small but the problems are far too many:

  • Even on a Pentium i3core with 4Gb RAM and 500Gb hard disk space it is slow. Only the start menu is fast. 

  • If restart and boot into Deepin Linux or Windows7 my ADSL is fast, in Puppy it is slow. 
  • JWMDesktop manager frequently hangs
  • The system hangs with only the mouse moving but nothing clickable
  • I installed puppy on /dev/sda6 and been using it always on sda6, today i found out it has a brain of its own and it has gone into my Deepin partition sda5

Conclusion

Its rubbish. I don't like it, does not meet my tastes, i'm a eye-candy fan, themes can be changed but they restricted and using the distro has a learning curve. Puppy Linux is only lite-weight by itself - the operating system only. If you open up a Google Chrome browser, notepad, or other apps it is not fast anymore even on a 4gb RAM machine. What use is just an operating system if you cannot simply browse the web, watch a few youtube videos, theres no use having. I am going to uninstall this. It has bad memory management and X-Windows crashes often losing all my work and one of the problems with Puppy unlike other distros you have to re-learn how to use a computer again.


Comments